LF: F/DK7FC QRV on 137 kHz from JN29PD

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: F/DK7FC QRV on 137 kHz from JN29PD
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:03:50 +0200
Cc: [email protected], [email protected]
Sender: [email protected]
Dear LF group,

This weekend i will be active with my kite vertical antenna on 137 kHz out of France, near Verdun, JN29PD.

Background:
The local ham radio club (http://www.f42.info/) where i am member of belongs to the city of Griesheim (near Darmstadt). This city has a friendship to Bar-le-duc, in France. Bar-le-duc has a ham radio club as well (http://f6kup.free.fr/). Those two radio clubs have started a friendship before about 20 years. Since almost 20 years the two clubs are doing the VHF/2m contest on a hill in JN29PD while camping and enjoying the friendship together.
This year i will have been there the 10th time.

Since 2008 i am taking my kite antenna to the hill. It is much more easy than having a 10m aluminium mast (in segments) into the car and allows to built much more effective antennas for 7 Mhz and below. Normally there is not too poor wind. Last year i was QRV on 160 m using a J-antenna. but this year i will be active on 2200 m. And: There is a mains connection, so i don't need the generator. Last year the wind pulled my kite for more than 24 hours without a break, means during sleeping in the night.

If the WX is OK i plan to start the activity on friday night. I will be QRV until sunday, about 12 UTC. One interest is to do some CW QSOs ( my sequencer allows semi-bk) so if there are some stations in a region of 1500 km with a suitable signal, please give me a chance! The french radio club has already announced that i will be active on 137 so maybe there will be some LF interested OM/YL who could become new stations on LF! It would be fine if i can show them more than just noise, hi.
Of course, i will be QRV in DFCW-3 as well. Some transmissions in DFCW-60 are planned too. Maybe this could be interesting for the DX stations? If the propagation allows it, you should copy my signal.

On the hill, there is no internet so i cannot use any grabbers or so. A feedback can be given via CW, just like in the (good?) old times. I hope for e.g.  Markus/DF6NM to be active in CW to give some news what's going on on the reflector and/or the grabbers ;-)

Wind is essential of course but in contrast to VLF there is not that problem with rain since the loading coil is rather small, produces just some kV (<10) and can be covered by a trash bag.

CW activiy is planned on 136.8 kHz (if no QRM there)
QRSS-3 on 137.7 kHz +-0.02 kHz
QRSS-60 (beacon mode) on 136.319 kHz (if you want another range, please tell me!)

For RX is try to use the K2 and the 706 in combination with the TX antenna and several 10 dB attenuation. Additionally i will try my 44 turns RX loop antenna , coupled by a fiber optic cable to the K2. When using the RX loop i will de-tune the TX antenna of course ;-)

For TX i have the 1 kW class-E PA (running in QRP mode, of course) and a second 12V class-E PA with 40/120 W (running in QRP mode as well, of course). If i can find the time i will built a third PA (class-D) which is not so sensitive to mismatch, running at about 50 V DC using some IRFP-260. This PA could be used for a night beacon transmission while i am sleeping.

So, i hope for a nice LF activity this weekend and am looking forward with interest :-)

Best 73 and gd DX!

Stefan/DK7FC