Re: LF: Re: TA DX on the dreamers band?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: TA DX on the dreamers band?
From: Warren Ziegler <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 13:39:13 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=dMCLjbXtlddLhzervvyV9/SBhdd8yb3Vmxw7VmySLgE=; b=JHfmjVOhc6o0AxckEs9cId0FSpqqN6HFyMKr+jrHGpuXx2Barolm4nWymWPOAv89J6 3m6T6GG7Mayz8/yxrDL0wMdZlo0OFqq5ZI3DZ6A0YDgbJGl8ExMxRxbiEHFusKN1RlJO OKuqXjiq3NT4MaMUBXaWmTYexymSpJC/LglQY=
Sender: [email protected]
Well lets start by looking at the success of stations on 137kHz -
pretty dismal actually.

I know that there was a TA contact on 137 10 or more years ago between
the late Larry Kayser VA1LK and G0MRF but I don't think there's been
anything since.   My experimental station WD2XGJ is copied nearly 100%
of the time in Europe, I run 4W ERP and QRSS 60 though QRSS 3 has made
it across and I believe that F1AFJ has reported that my signal is
audible on quiet winter nights under good conditions.  I have only
copied 1 station from across the pond - the late G3AQC on 137 - I have
a perfect "O" copy of "AQC" in QRSS 60 from Laurie.

Very few stations put out a decent signal and the 1w ERP limit in EU
is just too low for reliable copy, combine that with the fact that
many amateurs in the UK aren't even sure if they should be making
foreign QSOs and the result is nada zilch zero !

For 9kHz you would need both stations using kite or balloon supported
aerials - there the hold up will be with the aviation authorities.

Somebody should definitely go for it, but I wouldn't underestimate the
difficulties!

I suggest we start a pool everybody kicks in a few
dollars/pounds/euros for a prize for the 1st stations to make a
verifiable TA contact (I will personally kick in some money and I'm
not  too concerned about having to pay out!)

--
73 Warren K2ORS
                WD2XGJ