Re: LF: Noise R75 - rs232 from smpsu -

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Noise R75 - rs232 from smpsu -
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:25:06 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Yes ,

Dell   batteries also  have a  serial  number within, fried of mine brought a   'new' battery while he was working on a big IT project in India , only  no  serial / type number .. it worked  but after paying full  price he took it back ..slight resistance until  the  shop realised 'he'  knew  what he was talking about ..

G ..

Sent: Monday, July 26, 2010 2:30 PM

I've just ordered a couple of the DS2502 one-wire EEproms contained in the Dell PSU to tray hacking the contents to make a custom PSU.   But there's a long delivery time on them  from Farnell, so that's one project on hold until October.
Look easy enough to read and write, but they will need a custom PIC interface as the one-wire protocol is time-slot based.   Standard EEProm programmers can't do the job..

Apparantly, from people who have managed to read the Dell PSU  EE contents, it contains ASCII text giving the voltage and current rating, and the same serial number as appearing on the label.

One disconcerting finding - every chip has a unique fixed 48 bit serial number 'lasered' into it at manufacture.   So any Dell PSU, (or in fact any other product that uses these chips as an electronic serial number) can be uniquely identified - if anyone ever bothered to keep a record.   Don't think it can be read out via the Windoze operating system.   Bit if the part of the Bios that read the PSU data could be identified, its possible to envision a piece of software that could tell you which PSU was plugged into it.
Big Brother could be watching you even more closely.