LF: AW: Earth mode DXing today - 3.6kms!

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: AW: Earth mode DXing today - 3.6kms!
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 23:31:50 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Roger!

Congratulations to your interesting achievements!

I have some questions: What was the antenna current you achieved @ 4 watts on
0,8 kHz? Will you repeat the experiment on 8,97 kHz? It would be interesting if
the signal at a given distance/location is stronger or weaker on 0,8 or 8,97
kHz. Maybe you can create a diagram of the antenna impedance as a function of
the frequency? This could give you further infos about you ground loop.
Could you use a saw tooth modulator (with a constant output voltage) that
FM-modulates from DC to 9 kHz with a very slow rise time of say 1 minute? Thean
you could evaluate the propagation as a function of the frequency (since your
antenna is non resonant, so very broad band)! This would be most interesting!

I will also go on with my tests, reaching the far field on the Dreamers Band,
there on the hill, without any water pipes or so. I have prepared many small
and two big earth rods (steel, 1,5m long and a 2kg hammer ;-) ). Additionally i
have organised further 280m wire... All very interesting stuff and an excellent
hobby for the summer! :-)

GL and go on! Most of us haven't thought that this would work so good over such
distances. Seems the radio amateurs are re-discovering the VLF band, just like
at the beginning of radio...

73, Stefan/DK7FC