LF: Re: Re: 137 Revival

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Re: 137 Revival
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:25:38 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Tony
The G3YXM design some years back was reliable, two versions one for 12v and the other for 100v. My 137 kcs TX is similar but with several fail safe features added.
The set up in my case is a IC706 on 13.7 Mcs, divider network down to 137 Kcs, driver tc4426 chip, 4 FET PA, matching transformer to 50 ohms, LPF.
RF from TX fed via 50ohm cable to antenna some 100 yards away in a field, loading coil at base of antenna approx 0.5 mH matched and resonated to 50 ohm feed.
Monitor SWR and DC current to PA at all times during TX in case anything goes wrong.
Fortunately in my case the system is reliable and stable. During stormy wx beware of SWR fluctuations and drawing excessive current that might cause the PA FETS to expire, especially if using vy slow QRS MODE
I normally work CW normal speed and seldom go slower than QRS 3.
This is a class D pa

On 500 Kcs I use a different sort of TX, which is class E single ended FET, which would also work on 137 Kcs with different values for L and C.I built this TX in a few hours and it has proved totally reliable after a number of years use, designed for 50 ohms and fed to a 1/4 wave inv L antenna at 100 ft high
There are plenty of designs about for class D and E transmitters suitable for LF/MF on the web
De mal/g3kev

.