Re: LF: Re: Re: VLF SIGS

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Re: VLF SIGS
From: M0FMT <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 10:39:48 +0000 (GMT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.co.uk; s=s1024; t=1275215989; bh=qo2tN5T0sYfQKSF+eiZBaPP8TnMMAxdvYq32mpvGJuY=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=RTQ+s1nAaem7jizW12hzi6JQztDi2D8C0DeX7+Gu7JrGWhyCsW3/MxmPd/H3pjMsTenVvJl+4TRRwc4A3/pjRW7e5NLkWc9z992Cz7cV56K1kj0S97wJ2OjYquH2S3PgT3BKgnsLsNQRArZlaxHptyoSOFehkiqB+6UwxkltNlY=
Sender: [email protected]
Hi All

Simply use your PC sound card as an RX with the very good SDR application from Alberto Winrad. Stuff your antenna into the mic socket. Preferably with a couple of fast recovery diodes back to back to limit the spikes from static build up. Don't recommend it when lightning is about. Never lost a sound card yet ..... to stall the knockers............

If you have a modern PC it will have a Hi Def card giving a band width of 196kc/s if you set the LO on the sdr application to 0.000.000 the readout will direct in kc/s. Set you input in the drop down menu to either left or right hand channel or better still both channels added and the display will start at zero Hz or kc/s. The play on at about 19kc/s you see large humps of signals extending up to about 23 or so kc/s these are Mil transmissions and the like. They un-decryptable by the average punter but they come and go. The Alphas are interesting as the operate up to about 10kc/s from memory and are short pulses with one second intervals roughly

17.2 kc/s is worth moitoring because this is the frequency on which SAQ Grimeton Sweden operates in plain language CW (Google it). It is a motor generator set that produces the 17.2kc/s signal no valves or sparks just a 200kw high frequency alternator fed into a massive antenna system. It comes on when advertised usually Christmas Eve and other time during the year Lars will e-mail you the schedual if you ask him.

Very receivable with the set up descibed above with a short piece of wire as an antenna. Very long wires can be self defeating.

Oh my best dx from my home 8.9kc/s setup ... a sign genny into the antenna is about 1km using above set up. Have tried a tuned circuit in front of the sound card 600mm diam air cored joby with little improvement.

Good luck to all who try out VLF RX.

73 es GL petefmt

I support www.NotSpotTelecom.Com your community Telco / ISP.