Re: LF: Re: TV transformer

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: TV transformer
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 13:46:18 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Mal,

It is used in my test antenna, for local tests. I tried to reach my grabber out of a distance of 1,1km (home QTH to work QTH). Generally this is a method to become on air for a first step but is not suitable for DX.

You need some 10kV on your antenna (me too), so there is no alternative of winding a big air coil like Markus(DF6NM), Paul(W1VLF), Stefan(DK7FC)...

I estimate you need at least 500mA antenna current to reach >500km but within the UK you could start with such a transformer.

I used the transformer just as a normal voltage transformer that was connected to a small antenna, 8m long, 3m up. But you could arrange an air gap in the ferrite part to adjust the L of the secondary to resonate your antenna! So, the PA has not to handle too much reactive power and harmonics are better filtered.
Place the transformer not in shack but on the antenna because it is very loud ;-)

73 es gl,

Stefan/DK7FC