LF: Re: Motorola GPS Time Oddity

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Motorola GPS Time Oddity
From: "Dave Brown" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 18:05:00 +1300
Sender: [email protected]

Andy
What happens if you talk to in in binary? Same results?
NMEA seems to often be almost an afterthought in some receivers and often odd things happen when using it...
DaveB, NZ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Talbot" <[email protected]> To: <[email protected]>; <[email protected]>; <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2010 5:13 AM
Subject: LF: Motorola GPS Time Oddity

I've noticed a curious odditity on a Motorola M12 GPS module, when started
up completely from cold with no stored almanac data:  When the
module eventually 'appears' to lock up and show the correct lat /long and the NMEA data showing satellite staus 'Valid', the NMEA reported time is 15 (ish) seconds out. Which means it hasn't downloaded the leap-second correction yet and is still working on GPS time - the NMEA report gets
corrected after a minute or two longer wait.

BUT... Why does it decide that it has enough info for location calculation
when it clearly hasn't yet downloaded all the almanac data ?
It's lying.    Has anyone met this?
Only the M12 behaves like this out of those tested. All other modules I've
used, including the older Motorola. Oncore,. give the correct time
immediately they show lock. Of course, if the internal battery is alive the almanac data is already stored and it jumps into life immediately with a warm start, but after several months of storage - sometimes just weeks -
this battery goes flat.

Andy
www.g4jnt.com