Re: VLF: 4th VLF experiment by DK7FC/p

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: VLF: 4th VLF experiment by DK7FC/p
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 23:33:43 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btopenworld.com; s=s1024; t=1270420429; bh=QsMRJXzz1vDq7/jSVQNyrSQenaDuLYRTYGrizNoucR0=; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=TIETIyTwtpS4gWP4oFkJy5rXR5E4+43hxk3Kf6/6XptqK3Z7jzlcw0sXJT0pbkFD+lsvv7WTpJnWGY9DafTf5jT5IGtWpaJXB1mMNDVc8mXvlkuaNCXMwmjpQgiWBNOusnaX266MDIOEPQJ6xky3pbSv6rNNU0pFM7dsREJBlKc=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=DKIM-Signature:Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=oDxMANYWkqGknv2pJM5dGZBNQgpbPO7FGCzeyGTGomWQ1B+cddZ1C8eptfJXST/MOFENUzjjIj3mSmEJbcg/Y8Cb8opb7KIW5NZvOpM+KGirInIefaViep7ci3Cn3oQq+GBJOaSDo0PJLqQaLFjJDVFwDYQtAabCZU+JkWbH65E= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Stefan, LF Group,

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stefan Schäfer" <[email protected]>

...> 0 dB above average is clipped, does this mean, that each sample that is above 0 dB is just left away out of the whole integration that gives one pixel in the spectrogram? ...>

I imagine Spectrum Lab must be doing the clipping in the time domain, i.e. limiting the maximum amplitude of any particular sample that is above the average level - perhaps Wolf could describe how this function works?

...>This clipping is done by SpecLab but you also implemented a narrow band filter in your preamp, that is switchable. You said you want to show a picture with the filter switched on and off (and display 0...20kHz). That would really interst me! ...>

Well, the top image in the attachment shows a wide-band spectrum with and without filter. Basically, at this scale, everything around 9kHz and below is QRM...

...>Have you used compact inductors in a resistor housing or real wound pot cores for high Q?...>

Small inductors on ferrite bobbins with radial leads were used - the 4.7mH inductors had a Q only about 10 - 15. The 100mH was a bit bigger, encased in a ferrite sleeve and had a Q of about 60, but lower Q would also have been adequate - with 2.7kHz bandwidth, 9kHz centre frequency, very high Q is not needed, although the resistor-sized inductors are a bit too small. The self-screening of pot cores or toroids might be an advantage.

...>And what is the increase in the SNR @ 8,97kHz? ...>

The lower image shows the difference between a narrower-band spectrum with clipping in use, and with or without the filter. The wideband noise floor in-between the peaks is about 2 - 3dB less with the filter in use. Note this is with a lower FFT resolution (about 0.3Hz) than used in the DK7FC tests - because the noise spectrum changes quite quickly at my home QTH, it is difficult to do these tests with 5mHz resolution. So you have to imagine the noise peaks are "signals". The Spectrum Lab "hard limiter" does a suprisingly good job even without the filter. From my earlier mail, the SNR improvement with clipping and filtering was about 10dB. This test would suggest that without the filter, using the SpecLab clipper alone would still produce 7-8dB improvement. But if you live close to a VLF utility, the advantage of clipping without the filter would be reduced, because then SpecLab would have to set a higher clipping level, allowing more QRN energy through the clipper. Also, the improvement obtained probably depends on the level of QRN present.

Another reason for adding the filter was to enable use for audible reception of 9kHz. I have added a simple 7.5kHz BFO, product detector and audio stage to produce a complete SSB RX. I am not really expecting to hear signals, but now I can listen to the various strange noises and use the system as a portable D/F receiver to identify noise sources.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU