Re: LF: 12 km on Dream(ers) Band - TX loss calculation

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 12 km on Dream(ers) Band - TX loss calculation
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 12:18:40 -0500
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Rik, LF,

the reason why I prefer series feeding is that the amplifier current drops when the antenna falls out of resonance, either due to arcing, or detuning by wind (or pieces falling off). With a tap at a few turns or light inductive coupling, the detuned load would be seen nearly as a short circuit. There are ways around this, either by parallel-resonating the small coupling coil with a large capacitance (ie. bandfilter coupling, which also provides a convenient variable impedance match), or inserting a lowpass filter having about 90 degrees phase shift.

In the first round of 9 kHz experiments, Walter (DL2LF), Geri (DK8KW) and myself all have attempted to use large ferrite cores. In principle you can come to a more compact and higher Q coil. But when going to large voltages, there are two types of difficulties: Core saturation introduces additional hysteresis losses, accompanied by current-dependent inductance which made tuning "jumpy". To mitigate that, you basically need a large iron cross section and a large air gap. The other issue was voltage breakdown between the "hot" end and the partly conductive core material.

I think my coil wire is actually .2 mm copper diameter, about 0.55 ohms/m. The ten sections were wound separately on their food containers using a "converted electrical lemon squasher", and series connected externally after assembly.

Best 73,
MArkus