LF: 8.97kHz antennas

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 8.97kHz antennas
From: Roger Lapthorn <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:59:29 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Getting a Marconi vertical up in the sky is no mean task when 100m long and carrying a decent antenna current so I was wondering whether there is any merit in using grounded electrode pairs (as used for through-the-ground "earth mode" conduction tests) possibly fed with elevated feed wires as an alternative?

Not being much of a theory man I've little idea how this would perform and what amount of the 8.97kHz energy injected into the loop thus formed would actually be radiated. Clearly stringing out a 200m long grounded electrode pair "antenna" in a big field would be considerably easier than raising a kite mounted vertical. This arrangement on a much larger scalle was used at 76Hz for Project Sanguine (to radiate a signal to submarines, deeply submerged) and papers I've read on "earth mode" caution that for military applications the through-ground path may not be secure because of the amount of energy radiated. I also recall that G0AKN used this arrangement with some success on 73kHz.

Anyone know the answer?

73s
Roger G3XBM
--