Re: VLF: more RX stns needed

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: VLF: more RX stns needed
From: "henny van elst" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:36:53 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan,
our distance is 357km,
henny cpm
best 73s
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 10:01 AM
Subject: AW: VLF: more RX stns needed

Henny, thank you! That's nice. Your RX stn is very good on LF and i am sure you will also have a good VLF RX :-)
What is our distance? I think less than 400km!?
Let's dream :-)
73, Stefan

PS: The next time i think it is a good idea to transmit a "K" in DFCW-600. That's a combination out of a long carrier and a real information and a good mode for first dx tests. Since i transmit DFCW without gaps between dash and dot it will take exactly 30 minutes, further information. After that secqence, the full callsign and a message in DFCW-60 might be an idea... Let's see...

PPS: Our radio club has a long friendship with the radio amateurs in bar le duc, france. There, near verdun, we stay each year (for me since 10 years) and participate on the VHF contest but also some acty on HF. This year i plan to be qrv as F/DK7FC on LF and maybe also on VLF (if there is still interest ;-) ). It is always the first fully weekend in september. Last year i was active with a J-antenna on 160m, so a vertical end fed half wave antenna, 82m long, 100m up. No nerving radials, no lossy matching coil. The transformer is a RG58 cable, abt 28m long, surely with some losses but it must be less than 3db since i apply 600W (here in DL) without any SWR-changes.
So, the kite took the 82m wire PLUS the 28m RG58, without problems! And the wind was not too strong. The best thing about this story is that i have put this antenna into the sky on saturday afternoon and, since 160m is rather interesting at night, have let it there until i was tired and go to bed/marquee. Since i was to tired and it was dark i just let the kite at the sky! And, in the morning, it was still on the sky! If it would have dropped once, it would never go up again since there were trees that cause turbolences... I put it down in the afternoon, after 24hours!
So, what this tells us here, discussing VLF, is, that it is often no problem to be QRV with the kite without watching it the whole time and have to be afraid that it comes down. So DFCW-600 is no problem, if the wind comes from south-west. That's my observation on this QTH. So i will choose a good time for the next test, just like at the last...
That it get's not boring just to transmit there, all those german (or other) stns who have received the signal should come with a bottle of wine and so on, to have a big party,hi ;-) You know the exact QTH! :-))

73, Stefan/DK7FC