Re: LF: Antenna Matching

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Antenna Matching
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:43:34 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Tim,

I Started using a parallel tuner , with a 4 gang tuning capacitor , this was fine up to about 45 watts , with the tx tapped 2 or 3 turns up and the Ae fed from the top of the coil .. classic top band tuner. Using my HF swr bridge. which actually works fine at 500 and reads the correct power as well , I simply tuned for minimum reflected power.

Then thanks to E-bay and others came powers over 100 mW erp and blue lights from the tuner ..

At that point, the original coil, now with new pespex spacer's, the ww2 (cellulose ?) spacers having burnt out ... I made a variometer out of a length of brown drain pipe and some marly fittings from b&q , the original coil is now tapped 7 turns up and acts as the feed auto transformer ... this set up works well and will take 200 watts of carrier , latest slight improvement was to tap the capacitor down the coil and tune for minimal reflected power , good swr but requires a re tune if I qsy more than 50% of the band ..may be too higher Q as the tune changes with the wind blowing the wire about ....still use the swr bridge, but take it out before running wspr ..

Its not what  is in the  air ...its what's in/is the ground that  matters

GL - 73 - G ..