LF: 8.97 kHz. antenna idea

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 8.97 kHz. antenna idea
From: John Bruce McCreath <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:41:04 -0400
Sender: [email protected]

Hello LFers,

First I'd like to congratulate those who have made the effort to explore this
new and very challenging frequency!
As Stefan and others have mentioned, an "earth loop" over poor ground is
something that most of us could put
together and try.

I'd like to make a serious suggestion of using two trees that are a distance
apart as the "earth electrodes" for an
antenna of this sort.  Think about it...the root system of a tree has a much
more intimate connection to the soil
around it than does just an earth rod.  I'm currently using three conifers as
the antenna ground for my 1200 foot
Beverage antenna, and believe me, it does work.  It was much easier than
driving in ground rods during the
long and cold Canadian winter which freezes the ground down to about four feet.

The connection was made right at ground level by driving a stainless steel wood
screw into the tree trunk and
attaching the wire by sandwiching it between two washers under the screw head.
The screw doesn't need to
be very long, as the most conductive part of the tree is directly under the
bark.  As mentioned, I use conifer
trees since that's all I have (2000-3000 of them), but I expect that deciduous
would work as well.

There are several good write-ups on the web dealing with using trees as grounds
and antennas  A Google
search will turn up lots of reading on the subject.

73, J.B., VE3EAR

LowFER Beacon "EAR"
188.830 kHz. QRSS30