LF: Re: WSPR S/N Tests

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: WSPR S/N Tests
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 21:02:29 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=jVH6nhLSzRoUbULoCfL8Q0KPZUotjlTqQjfOjFawMaYg8hOcTZlA29SzcXKzURHhsZNrAbQBTF0HBthkDwVqRVSh5GTohCDOr8VpfIc2ot+5Ry1b5m6FlHt5MF6Mkd59ERwe5tY9dDly44NBKQVHehfiCMfmIQBAiKLyuxm+t5U= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Andy, LF Group,

I have just tried a quick test here, which more or less confirms your findings. My approach was to receive off-air signals as normal with 300Hz BW, but to also run Spectrum Lab on the decoding PC, configured in " narrow CW filter" mode, with centre frequency set to 1475 Hz (the audio frequency G4JNT comes out on) with a BW of 50Hz. The resulting filtered audio was fed into a second PC running the WSPR decoder. This has the effect of increasing the reported SNR by about 6dB to 13dB when the filtered audio is decoded - however, this is smaller than the increase you saw.

Doing this also produces a lot of false decodes - the spectrogram display in WSPR shows a couple of broad, bright, noise-like bands where the passband-stopband transitions of the audio filter occur, with assorted spectral lines that are probably low-level noise from one PC or another. I have often noticed the number of false decodes goes up when there are narrow-band spectral "features" present, rather than just uniform noise. It is curious why the WSPR spectrogram display shows fairly uniform noise baseline across the whole 200Hz, with brighter bands of noise where the filter attenuation is increasing, rather than a bright band of noise in the 50Hz passband and darker in the stopband.

Increasing the RX bandwidth to 3kHz makes essentially no difference to the normal, un-filtered WSPR decoder over the 300Hz BW.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU
----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Talbot" <[email protected]>