Re: LF: My first tests below 9 kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: My first tests below 9 kHz
From: ALAN MELIA <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 23:32:21 +0000 (GMT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1266708742; bh=mkHF6dDdawJu/rtYHo9vvd5bWFlYn0+k2zc8Pus+XOY=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=gVYmevO5UPEtwJg77hgwnC0moSxyp5A/ERJMz/IgLsPRHKX8kPUjBRjd/euBHBzUOomhW34P/Csk/2d7XggreZaXuwYeaahHrY0YFX9KN2Xk0cA34JQtvPGZW4TmYvcIJ9KQTG5LmQkcs7CwDKmAdtONyMRaUHJw3//XBxIZxf8=
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Horst dont forget you are in the near field at that frequency and the signal
strength drops of as the third or fourth power of the distance (not the square)
until you are about 15km away from the transmitter then you enter the far field
and get square-law effect. You need to factor that into your equations. This
means at 1km the strength will be either 30 or 40dB lower not just 20dB (I
think) at 10km 60 to 80dB lower. You are really in "induction" fields at the
moment, I think.

Interesting tests. Make a bridge and measure the antenna at the at frequency,
the majority of the resistive component will be ground loss. Tune out the
reactive part with inductance and use a transformer to get the highest antenna
current. A "ground dipole" could well be better than an elevated small T.

Interesting reference
"ELF Communications antennas" Michael L Burrows, pub by Peter Perigrinus for
the IEE 1978   ISBN 0 906048 00 1

Alan G3NYK