LF: LF on Twente Web-SDR

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: LF on Twente Web-SDR
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 22:32:20 +0100
Cc: <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
Dear LF group,

recently I found that the excellent 7-band web receiver at Twente University http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ also features a low frequency section (64 to 164 kHz). In contrast to the situation a few months ago, the LF band now appears to be completely cleared of local interference, and the receiver is quite sensitive.

By connecting the PC's audio output to the line input by a "real" physical audio cable, I was able to perfectly read 137 kHz QRSS3 signals on a slow spectrogram. The audio resampling process from nominal 8438 Hz samplerate does introduce up to +- 0.2% of samplerate variation, but the resulting frequency instability can be mitigated by tuning to a low beat frequency (eg. about 300 Hz). The digital IF bandpass skirts can be pulled in as required. Using WSPR v2 with an appropriate Rx-BFO setting, it was possible to successfully decode WSPR signals that way as well.

The web-SDR waterfall also shows a strong Loran-C spectrum around 100 kHz (mostly from Sylt, 300 km from Enschede). This tempted me to feed its output to my "LoranView" averaging program. With samplerate tracking to the Sylt pulses and five minute averaging, I could detect traces from 48 different Loran stations last night, including far away ones like Port Clarence (Alaska), Raymondville (Texas) and Gesashi (Japan, 9582 km).

Many thanks to Pieter-Tjerk PA3FWM, for providing us with this outstanding peace of work!

73,
Markus (DF6NM)