Re: LF: "Poisson, Shannon, and the Radio Amateur" - copyright

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: "Poisson, Shannon, and the Radio Amateur" - copyright
From: Chris Trayner <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 21:49:10 +0000
Accept-language: en-US, en-GB
Acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Andy and others,

On 2009 Nov 4, at 18:49, Andy Talbot wrote:

>  As Warren mentioned there are probably still copyright issues
> (after 50 years ??)

Quite possibly, yes.

Bear in mind that

- If the IEEE (ex IRE) sued you, would we be talking about US law,
English law, International law or some (unholy?) mixture?

[Remind me to buy shares in lawyers tomorrow ...]

- The copyright on the original paper may have expired (not sure). But
when the IEEE scanned it they produced an artefact (the scan) which
counts as a work of art for legal purposes. They own copyright on
that. If you scanned a paper copy yourself, it might be legal to put
it up, but you'd want to check first with someone who r-e-a-l-l-y
knows the law!

Copyright law is often described as a minefield, thought quagmire
might be a better term - watered by the tears of those who have tried
to do reasonable things under it. In fairness to the lawmakers, it
would be extremely hard to write such law which protects both the
creators and the users of such works.

<evil-grin>Just thought I'd bring a little sushine into your life ...</
evil-grin>

73,
Chris G4OKW