LF: Re: Best receiving antenna wanted

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Best receiving antenna wanted
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 00:19:22 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=Pc47pQDNb6NH7OVuBxq2omZBM7eDk5a+iE2sIeegBHDI6QJl5WqMfE7AcRdd9pPrqP8EwWVtnKJMbISlUj/sB5lGL0AhvBgJ8YT4WBvbf16cVPBg/Dm+7x6aa52tAS5MAfLOrLJAiDK4TuV3hA4IutY+SpjlNH/bHmxRR5jD58k= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Horst, Mmmmm your problem may not be the antenna it may be your use of
the level measuring set !! A "good" receiver would work well at LF off that
kind of aerial. You must remember that these LMSs have no preselection
because they are intended for measuring telecom line signals, not picking
signals out of the wideband "noise" from an aerial. They probably only have
one selective circuit in them, and then at the IF frequency. Once again
because they are used for line work they do not always have the dynamic
range of a "real" radio receiver and so will produce lots of intermodulation
products particularly if you have strong local singnals anywhere between DC
and 2MHz. For best sensitivity and freedome from extraneous noises you need
to restrain the bandwidth from the antenna to just the minimum you need to
receive, when using that kind of set. They can be good but your location may
be very different in its noise/interference profile to other operators.

Your "best" aerial will need to be chosed from the armoury or loops and
wires and active antennas as the one that best deals with your local
situation.

Best Wishes
Alan G3NYK