LF: Re: RX and Sound Card

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: RX and Sound Card
From: "VK2ZTO" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 09:08:05 +1000
Sender: [email protected]

G'day Jim,

Thanks for this. It is a very thorough treatment of the method - including the limitations. It will be one of my "print out and file" reference documents and I will alert the VK LF-ers to the link.

While in the general area of soundcard frequency accuracy - there was a time in the distant past when worrying about sampling frequency errors was less of a concern to me as all the cards I tested were well within 100ppm (< 0.1Hz @ 1000Hz). In that distant past soundcard sampling rates were 44.1ksps, 22.05ksps, 11.025ksps and 5.512ksps (usually implemented as 5.5125ksps). That is, all sampling rates were "harmonically" related. Now we have the 48ksps, 96ksps (and higher?), which, while self related harmonically, are not harmonically related to the legacy sample rates.

The practical consequences of this caused much head scratching on my part, until the fog cleared, when I first dabbled in W*S*P*R ("*"'s added to avoid spambots...;-). Everything was going swimmingly until I cross-checked the frequency of my transmission as reported by WSPR against ARGO. There was a discrepancy of some ten's of Hz. For someone who is a bit AR about frequency accuracy this caused mild apolexy.

To make an already long story not grow too much longer, I always use external USB soundcards (EDIROL UA-1eX) which have a physical hardware switch to select sampling rates (44.1ksps, 32ksps, 48ksps and 96ksps) built into them. For some reason I had switched the sampling rate to 48ksps. This is the "native" rate for WSPR - so it was reasonably accurate. When I booted up ARGO, the OS drivers had to somehow downsample the 48ksps hardware sampling rate in software (?) to the nominal 5.512ksps rate used by ARGO, a process it did with sufficient roughness to produce the very significant frequency error. I proved this by hardware switching to 44.1ksps on the external soundcard, upon which the discrepancy from the 48ksps setting WSPR reading disappeared. Note that now (when switched to 44.1ksps), the WSPR reading had moved a few ten's of Hz as now the OS drivers had to upsample from 44.1ksps to 48ksps. Worryingly, at the same time, the decoding sensitivity on WSPR took a dive.

IMHO - bottom line to this is - if you have a newer PC you are likely to have a card based around 48ksps. This means you are probably good to go with WSPR, but may have frequency errors in ARGO. If you have an older PC and/or soundcard it may be based around 44.1ksps, in which case you are good to go with ARGO, but there may be frequency errors and poor decoding performance on WSPR.

How much of this effect you see will depend on the quality of the downsampling/upsampling/interpolating process in the drivers and/or OS. You may not see any discrepancy at all - but it is worth checking if you are having poor decoding on WSPR.

In my case I can avoid all problems by hardware switching to 44.1ksps when using ARGO and 48ksps when using WSPR.

Sorry for the long post.

73 Steve VK2XV

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>