Re: LF: RX and Sound Card

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RX and Sound Card
From: "Klaus von der Heide" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 13:00:51 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Members of the Group,

since years I use a very simple method of measuring
the output sample rate of the soundcard:

(1) Choose an LF frequency normal such as HBG,
    MSF or DCF77

(2) Generate a sinewave on the soundcard output
    with a harmonic very near to the frequency
    normal. Use maximum volme.
    Example: For DCF77 on 77500 Hz generate
    (77500 +- 1.5)/19 = 4078.868 or 4079.026 Hz
    to get a signal 1.5 Hz apart from the normal
    (if the samplerate has the nominal value).

(3) Use a diode or transistor to distort the sound
    output and couple it appropriately to your LF
    antenna such that the harmonic has similar
    amplitude as the frequency normal in your
    receiver.

(4) Change output frequency such that the frequency
    normal lies symmetrically between both harmonics
    (i.e. use both frequencies of the example in
    sequence).

(5) Sample the SSB receiver output, compute the
    spectrum, and identify the peaks. Usually the
    generated peaks are far from what one expects.
    So the audio frequencies have to be improved
    iteratively.

The accuracy only is limited by the time interval
used for the measurements. With intervals of 10
minutes the accuracy is about 0.001 Hz. That is
enough to measure the drift of the samplerates.

I have some JPGs with measured spectra which will
be sent on request.

73 de Klaus, DJ5HG