Re: LF: G7NKS back on WSPR with new Umbrella ant

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: G7NKS back on WSPR with new Umbrella ant
From: John P-G <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:32:21 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

James Cowburn wrote:
Dear LF

G7NKS is back on tonight with a new umbrella antenna under test.
10m vertical element with 4x8m capacity wires sloping down at 45degrees.
Not ideal but a little better than the old "L".

James,

This is much the same antenna as I've used on 500kHz. I started with 12m height, but Shetland weather saw to that.... I then used 8m, with sloping capacity wires of approx 6m, acting as guys (insulators at the lower ends ends and nylon rope for the last section to the guying points.)

I tuned it with a variety of fixed and tapped inductors and matched to 50 ohms with a tapped ferrite transformer, all in a plastic bin at the feed point. A run of 50 ohm feeder back to the shack.

I've had reports and QSOs (in-band and cross-band) from at least the follwing: G/GW/GM/GI/EI/LA/SM/DL/OH/F/PA/ON and probably others. I've had QSOs with powers as low as 100mW TX power and up to 200W TX power.

My estimate of the ERP for 100W TX power is 4-500mW on a good day (very dependant on ground losses which affect the antenna current and hence the radiated power).

Hope you have success with it.

John
GM4SLV

--