Re: LF: G3XBM TXing on 500kHz WSPR (after a fashion) tonight

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: G3XBM TXing on 500kHz WSPR (after a fashion) tonight
From: John P-G <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:53:26 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

Roger Lapthorn wrote:
John, if YOU manage to hear me then I really will believe pigs can fly.

Unfortunately my RX setup on 500 isn't quite as sensitive as it has been in previous seasons. I'm using an active loop - a Wellbrook ALA1530 - at the moment. The loop amplifier's own noise floor limits the absolute sensitivity of the system. At night this generally isn't a problem though, as external noise overcomes this. I've found that best results in daytime though are from my vertical tuned TX antenna fed via a tuneable pre-amp. The pre-amp has little effect on signals from the active loop though, as the S/N is pretty much set in the antenna's amplifier stage.

At the moment I have converted my MF TX antenna to use on HF (5MHz WSPR) so I can't bring it into use as an RX antenna on 500.

Still, I'm game to try it. I've set the 500kHz WSPR running in RX mode. Keep an eye on the online database.

The best time is likely to be well into the middle of the night, so please run overnight. I received a few signals from G7NKS, even before his recent antenna improvements, using this setup, so let's see how it goes.

Good luck

John
GM4SLV