LF: defence of WSPR Signals

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: defence of WSPR Signals
From: Peter Cleall <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:17:33 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: [email protected]
Sender: [email protected]
I have always been interested in propagation.
These WSPR signals are seen by some as repetitious rubbish.

 If you use , WSPR, the Internet database and your own receptions you soon
realise that there are subtle variations in signal particularly QSB that are
different over day/ night paths, transitions at dawn and dusk and differences
on N/S and E/W paths. Northern stations seem favoured for E/W propagation and
distance between stations also has an effect.

At last we have software and a process for examining in near real time the
subtlety of these variations. We can see the signal reports from many distances
and directions at the same time. I think we will learn a lot more over the
winter if we continue with these tests. I would like to think that in the
future we could have some coordinated test times which would get a greater
number of receiving participants available at the same time.

Personally I have been working on propagation with WSPR for several months on
30m. But  the recent activity by Andy, Jim and others has resulted in me
hunting out my 137kHz equipment that has not been used for a couple of years
and rebuilding a converter to hear my first signals on 500khz , since the
commercial stations disappeared. I can see from the other reports on the
database that I need to do more work on Aerials and i suspect that I still have
a lot to learn about signals and equipment overload. Thee existence of a few
known reference signals is essential to improving ones equipment and knowledge.
I t think this is all part of the spirit of amateur radio for our self
education in radio techniques which is a major justification for us to have
licenses.

regards
peterG8AFN