LF: Re: 500 still in use?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: 500 still in use?
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 11:09:06 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=W6ddfmec0jdiyigj0OMb00/jLxsswUM+IpXQZZLrDqo2wPzJWo8OXXHubQYGMcElZn9rVw9MGKCAdjrRN/kW5pI3u2HmnNoyiEVXmcT0dR0ULou35JzRjTDMsgJjgO8fXM0Uml38xhLbc5gkcboi0NU5W5vPDCJ9SWeyXPlx4XQ= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Laurence, LF Group,

The 468kHz frequency does seem to be slated for Chinese Navtex broadcasts - apparently 424kHz is being used for Japanese language Navtex too. This seems to coincide with a general shift to using 490kHz for Navtex weather forecasts instead of "local language" as it was originally supposed to be.

I beleive the international agreements relating to Navtex say that "no more than 1kW" should be used for Navtex broadcasts, and then only under exceptional circumstances, in order to minimise mutual QRM. but if you look at manufacturer's TX offerings, you will struggle to find one less than 1kW. Fun for DXers, I suppose, but not so clever when you actually need the info!

Several years ago when a 500kHz allocation was first mooted, I spent some time listening to 500kHz, and most nights used to hear Italian coast stations - IAR was one I think. They would appear on 500k and tell you to QSY to some nearby frequency. When you did so they would broadcast a long list of ships' callsigns, I presume who they had traffic for. But I never did hear any 2-way operating, and got the impression the whole thing was computer generated. I haven't heard these coast stations since about 2003, or maybe before.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU

----- Original Message ----- From: "Laurence BY3A-KL1X China" <[email protected]>