LF: Re: M0BMU small antenna test beacon

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: M0BMU small antenna test beacon
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 23:20:42 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MIMEOLE; b=gBaLPyUtSX4b8N1DenXVdw/UDy3rVEzYhD45oTcW52tcU/Llk8LqHazUylFSsgvUpR9ZhC6ZIPKmcMrTeGZt3Tn10lTmf/BrBX+qpiibPYnddPFYz2L0sQRe4adaWr+IoX/cRFanRBINujTJy7XUHw3kmdJNwGoKL1UdumiPVFU= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Dave, Ken, Dave, Rik, Pete, LF Group,

Thanks for the reports on the beacon signal. If nothing else, it is at least a viable 500kHz TX antenna - as well as the reports, it is showing up reasonably well on the G3YXM and G4WGT grabbers. I have now closed down at 2206utc.

The TX power was about 70W maximum, dropping to about 0.3W at the minimum power level. I haven't done detailed measurements yet, but the loss resistance is about 70 - 80 ohms, and the antenna current just under an amp at maximum power. My "guesstimate" of ERP is 100mW at maximum power, down to 0.4mW at the minimum level - I am allowing -6dB for the fact that the antenna is completely screened by the surrounding trees. The loss resistance is about 3 x that of my normal antenna, which has much more wire. The high resistance isn't a great suprise, as the ends of the top load wires are only a couple of metres from the trees and bushes. From previous experience, in an actual open /P location the loss resistance should be much lower, and the ERP significantly higher for a given antenna current.

The TX signal is a .wav file of CW and QRSS recorded from the "digimodes terminal" in Spectrum Lab, and played back through the linear transverter. The software generates a smoothly rounded raised-cosine keying envelope which minimises the bandwidth and results in the "soft" keying. The 5s dashes have a proportionally slower rise/fall - I left it with the default settings to see if anyone would notice, I think on balance a faster rising, sharper keying envelope would be better for a listening test. The variable power level was obtained by editing the audio level in the .wav file using some sound editing software.

As Rik observed, I did briefly operate last night as well - power was slightly lower then.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU