Re: LF: Re: M0BMU small antenna test beacon

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: M0BMU small antenna test beacon
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 20:05:37 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MIMEOLE; b=yOnSfWCnBnCdtU/gQ3i0eoo+3Tk5ZI8c3wI0Z+8fhAUltzKaw7PrdMaz0JG1N8xl8fQA1CpONcBsPfOVUupgemuSlB7YuFVGO3Z75Lw0nKRc0Vma/tnSKpxNxqmEuMYiBxEzAWQ9hrAs4DS193b8mHzRg9XBEPhIKRugs19VyNA= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Richard, LF Group,

The umbrella antenna has a capacitance of about 144pF (against 129pF calculated by EZNEC) and a resistance of about 70ohms (rising to nearer 80 ohms after some rain). It was tuned by a tapped series loading coil with variometer for fine tuning - the total inductance required is around 700uH. The coil added a further loss resistance of 9 ohms. Resistance matching to the TX was done with a multi-tapped auto transformer wound on a small SMPS core. To prevent a lot of RF current flowing down the coax feeder to mains earth and bypassing the radials, I used a common-mode choke in the feeder at the ATU end consisting of about 20 turns of RG58 coax on a large ferrite toroid core.

I also tried the idea of tuning the capacitive reactance of the radials using a coil in series with the ground connection to the ATU. This used a small tapped coil of about 50uH maximum between the ground terminal of the transformer, and the common point of the 4 radial wires. I measured the RF voltage between the transformer ground terminal and a "real ground" ground spike at the bottom of the antenna using a diode voltmeter. With no radial tuning inductance, the RF voltage was about 90V with 1A antenna current. Adjusting the tap on the coil gave a minimum of 17V (including a few V due to the local broadcast stations!). This required about 26uH of inductance - the main loading coil has to be reduced by the same amount to maintain resonance. It is not possible to get 0V in this way, because the tuning inductor cannot tune out the resistive component of the ground impedance, and anyway, the "real" ground potential is a bit arbitrary, but clearly a substantial reduction is possible, which would be useful for QRO operation.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Newstead" <[email protected]>