LF: Re: Re: 500kHz Diurnal Noise Variation

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Re: 500kHz Diurnal Noise Variation
From: "Dave Brown" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 00:07:46 +1200
Sender: [email protected]

Back in 1997 we temporarily activated a 400 foot ex AM broadcast mast at Kumara on the West Coast of the South Island. With an SSB signal at around 100 watts PEP into the mast, we had good LF propagation (i.e. good reports) in the westerly direction to Tasmania until quite late in the morning- circa 9.30 or so local NZ time, which would have corresponded approximately to the onset of daylight over the complete path to VK7. The distance was roughly 2200km in a more or less northwest direction from ZL.

We were working crossband, with VK7RO operating on 40 metres, so it was readily apparent that the LF signals on 182 kHz disappeared fairly quickly, having been pretty consistent up to that time, over a fully dark and then a partially dark path. Signals were down an S point or so from the 'fully dark path' levels which had been 5/9/9 on CW and 5/9 on SSB, but were still quite impressive.

I found this result somewhat surprising at the time and still do.

Would have been great to have that QTH set up as a permanent LF tx site, it was absolutely magnificent! They demoloshed the mast a few months later. I have a video of the mast coming down- spectacular to watch/hear, but also disappointing.

73
Dave, ZL3FJ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>