Re: LF: amateur radio

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: amateur radio
From: pat gillen <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 23:38:01 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Mal, It might just be worth remembering that the original pioneers knew
absolutely "zilch" about the science, art or technology we now use. The
"expertise" some of us claim is based on an almost stone age past. Bits
of wire inserted into pieces of coke, Tesla coils and arcs, electric
light bulbs with extra bits of wire, jam jars with foil liners, bottles
of acid with lumps of zinc and lead, G9BF running 8 parallel 807
connected to the DC mains overheads outside in the street?

A lot of us have been there and thankfully have moved on despite our
nostalgic yearnings for our Teddyboy, Mods'n'Rocker, Duffle-coated,
Luminescent ankle socks past (a few of us even stood by our beds and
said "Yes Corporal")!

The science is still the same but the techniques and methodology have
moved on. After you've gone there will still be guys doing radio in some
form or other and, rest assured, they will still be following the same
old footsteps - because they have to - physics doesn't change.

As an example I just spent an hour or two fixing a 1 Ghz counter - with
a multimeter - not "rocket science" - just "where did the volts go?".
Same old rules - same old answers!
An electrolytic or two later, we're up and running!

So, the modern generation use the internet etc,? Well, sod it! So did I
- to get the manual that gave me the gen. to fix the counter!

Your grapes must have the sourest taste on this group if not on the
whole internet. I wonder if you've tried them with litmus paper or
perhaps (and God forbid the scientific diatribe we might get) a pH
meter?
  73 de Pat G4gvw