LF: Re: 3 Mode Beacon

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: 3 Mode Beacon
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 21:59:16 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=mUDljbC8OpbcAs7YMimrT02tKkHpHNKWbOk0sPlXVlX0vtjKs5bUoHtBKlqHZGSwPfrra70HuUH/Au+FvCRz1sy4PlICgKjedshK1hr4WgqPHMdGsGl+x5de4AMKzRqyKRESX6hxUimW+1f97z8lpyBiL2+RXcHdsnh3B47cxfQ= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Rik, LF Group,

There are a couple of things I have noticed about MFSK4 receiving Graham's beacon, and in a QSO with G0NBD and M0LMH last week:

The frequency has to be set accurately; a 3Hz offset was enough to prevent any copy.

The AFC function in FLdigi did not appear to work well in this mode.

Once set to the correct frequency, you have to wait several seconds before any copy is produced. This would seem to be because of the interleaving of data over several transmitted symbols.

The result is that unless TX and RX frequencies are accurately calibrated, it is quite possible to get no copy with good signals. Adjusting the frequency offset by trial and error is tricky, especially with short transmissions, due to the delay in decoding. Once the frequency is accurately set, it seems to work quite well, although it was slower, and had wider bandwidth, compared to the other two modes.

I will probably be transmitting WSPR again in the next few days, once the RX antennas are sorted out - maybe I will even be able to receive you then ;-) I'll let you know.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>