LF: Re: modeling a loop

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: modeling a loop
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 23:06:37 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=QlZTsX7cjUVLjhKUd4jJm2mjP1N4UfrKmR7dcEVa+dnYD6kCKfo/vAwy2dsIjiSmRepZHVmT911T4ShEWZ4sUJRPDpzsJhcp1imaCf3fHhVV7mL75hq5x6z006fjDm0tyxak4+fYv7C0olXT9+8wrTUs3SuU61jEexfQH9t3VcA= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Rik,

This is my theory - At 0 degrees elevation, the far-field radiation from a rectangular loop antenna is the same as that produced by 2 vertical elements of the same dimensions as the vertical conductors in the loops and carrying the same currents (other angles/shapes would be similar, but would require resolving the horizontally and vertically directed components of the current). In this 2-element vertical array, both are carrying large currents, and the current in one is equal to the other, but flowing in the opposite direction, and the spacing between them is a very small fraction of a wavelength. The radiated field at a large distance is the result of superimposing the seperate contributions of these two vertical elements which, because of the small spacing, almost but not quite cancel each other out (they do cancel out at right angles to the plane of the loop of course). So the radiated field, and so the radiation resistance, is a result of a small difference between two relatively large numbers - the smaller the length of the loop in wavelengths, the smaller the difference gets. This is why you need much more current in a loop than a vertical of a similar size.

I think the discrepancy in the simulated radiation resistance may be caused by the limited precision of the calculations done by the simulator - you would expect the effect of this to get worse as the sides of the loop became smaller fractions of a wavelength. When I have tried to simulate small loops in the past (using an old EZNEC), I have had similar problems, and also simulation errors possibly for the same kind of reason. I don't think NEC likes small loops of conductor much - I have also had problems in the past when simulating a vertical with a multi-wire top-load where the ends of the wires were connected together - the simulation results had 1 amp in the uplead, but many amps circulating through the top-loading wires.

An experiment you could try is simulating larger loops to see if there is a more accurate agreement between theory and simulation.

There is also the effect of the ground plane - a small loop close to a ground plane should have double the radiation resistance of one in free space due to the effect of the "image" loop reflected in the ground plane - I think this implies large currents flowing in the ground plane under the loop, so it is another matter to what extent this actually happens with a real ground plane.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>