Re: LF: Re: 500kHz Portable

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: 500kHz Portable
From: Richard Newstead <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 17:22:52 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

mal hamilton wrote:
Richard
Try a 12metre fiberglass telescopic pole to support an inv L using wire size 1mm as long as possible. Use a matching network at the bottom of the vertical part, coil in series to earth. Tap down coil for resonance, tap coax up a few turns from earth end for best match, lowest swr, braid of coax to earth. Use a couple of insulated radials lying on ground and connected to coax earth. This method never fails to work. There are other methods but the above is vy efficient, light and portable.

Thanks for the tips Mal. Maybe I could fly a kite to support the wire off the top of the pole. How long would the radials need to be to have some benefit? I need to calculate the required inductance to resonate the system - what's the best software to use no DOS here so can't easily use Reg FGQ's progs.

I have been on 10GHz for the past year so 500kHz will make a nice change!

73

Richard
G3CWI