Re: LF: 500kHz Portable

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 500kHz Portable
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 20:16:50 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
On 14 May 2009 at 18:54, Richard Newstead wrote:

> The 1749 sequence was just detectable here tonight - too weak to read
> the CW.

For your information Andy I copy your beacon solid s9 here in
Bracknell, usually copying 5 or 6 of the keyed tones. But hardly DX...

As I emailed Richard directly I can just about copy him. It may be a
good demonstration of the slow QSB effect we get on 500k - sometimes
absolutely zilch copy, other times q5 but VERY weak, just above the
noise. I did try calling Richard on Tuesday but that revealed a slight
annoyance in my tx - the VXO runs continuously and can be heard fairly
weakly on channel and enough to wipe out Richard's signal so I had to
call 'off channel'. I had not been aware of this problem before as most
other signals they are well above it.

I am now active on the band again from time to time, alternating with
the HF bands. So far only QSOd Chris G3XIZ.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com