LF: Tune and match the ant for 50kHz...550kHz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Tune and match the ant for 50kHz...550kHz
From: Petr Malý <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 09:26:22 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi all,

I want to make a small transmatch (RX, TX up to 10 Watts, or so) to tune LW 41 m (or smaller T-ant) in the range 50 ... 550 kHz.
I am not too good in theory... but I believe that the most efficient system is the popular loading coil (home made variometer, and taps to find 50 Ohms match).
The simple variometer (cylindrical coil in another cylindrical coil) is easy to make and works fine on 136kHz. However, it is possible to change inductance in the range about 1:2 or 1:3 only, not much better. Therefore the redudant inductance is too high to fetch the ant to resonance on 550 kHz.
Solution would be to make a more sophisticated variometer (best: sphere in sphere) to reach the ratio 1:10 or so.
Or, to use a different kind of network. Pi network, L network or T network. BTW I would also prefer to use a rotary switch and solder twenty condensers rather than to make twenty taps on a coil wound with litz wire...

How did you solve this yourself?

Thanks, 73, Petr, OK1FIG