Re: LF: Tune and match the ant for 50kHz...550kHz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Tune and match the ant for 50kHz...550kHz
From: "dave.riley3" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 12:31:30 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
You can use a simple vertical LOOP made from one piece of HEAVY, well insulated wire and one vacuum variable capacitor...

Advantages:

No need of many wires dug into the ground to lose power
No hoisting many top load wires and associated rigging
No lossy loading coils and messy matching networks
No retuning when the weather changes
No high voltages to start fires
No 'E' noises in LOOP antenna
Simple tuning with one capacitor from 17khz. to 50 mhz.
( I use auto tuner when connected to HF rig )
Simple Toroid transformer makes for easy, balanced coupling
It's all I use from VLF to 6 Meters, the results speak for themselves, DX on HF too
Works much better than any wire antenna I have tried so far, vertical or horizontal
Very poor ground conductivity here is best for a loop ( approaches free space condition )

Disadvantages:

Marconi vertical is WAYYY too noisey here, I took it down...

None noted since happy changeover, thanks to much work and forethought by Bill Ashlock WE2XGR/4

Next improvement is to parallel 2nd tuned parasitic loop in close proximity to lower effective 'R' and up the 'Q'

TNX   Dave @ WD2XSH/17