Re: LF: RX NOISE

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RX NOISE
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:08:29 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

How many UK stations are running the current 10 W ERP limit ?
Since the increase from 1W to 10W I have noticed only 1 station that became 10dB stronger.
I have made QSO's with UK stations running as low as 10mW ERP.
I am running about 2.5W ERP and so far I haven't had any problem in being heard by UK stations. And last winter I received RX report from all over Europe and beyond (best RX report came from 3500km, giving me a solid 559).
I am not sure that an increase to 20W ERP will have much effect.
I you're going to ask ODCOM for a favour it might be better to ask some extra kHz, what would give space for other (wideband) modes.

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T

Quoting mal hamilton <[email protected]>:

Nearly every 500 Khz operator that I communicate with seems to have a Noise problem on Receive, therefore in order to overcome this common noise complaint I would suggest a request to OFCOM for an increase in ERP at the TX end to 20W erp. This hopefully would give a better signal over noise at the RX end. I recently conducted some tests by reducing my TX erp until the signal disappeared into the noise at the RX end and was surprised by how much power was needed to overcome this noise problem. I checked two UK grabbers as well and and the results were poor.
The mode used was normal CW.
73 de mal/g3kev