Re: LF: Deep copy...

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Deep copy...
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 19:31:51 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=3I9rCV9TVmskEJETc/KBvjU0JXzTfagI8FbiY2BMH/M=; b=caxGaehk3/4vnfnDoGdzRJdK4Asjw0k3PRQfPPtHisZ+7l+48p0KAGabRQysTu9fmr 5ZPFX6dBZcKTdXKfRjLn91DVqvADj6u4vAHYS2w2wq2lGLxceO9mhTCoWewy+b2BCTF6 lgFvDAb6KhS2PRsIVtzR2A7iMl+BOW2bXySDU=
Sender: [email protected]
It all depends on your resolution bandwith which you don't specify.
Pnoise = kTB

With my SDR-IQ set to 190kHz span and 131072 point FFT, resolution
bandwidth = 1.5Hz and Rx set to +10dB gain to get the best  noise
figure:
-145dBm with a 50R load.  With the Antenna connected this rises to
-115dBm (measured at 1920 UTC) with no obvious lines or peaks
contributing.

If you normalise to the standard 2.5kHz noise measurement bandwidth,
that equates to -112 (50R)  and -82dBm.(antenna) respectively

Thermal noise at reference temperature of 290K is -174dBm/Hz, so for
2.5kHz that gives -140dBm suggesting the noise figure of the SDR-IQ
could be 140 - 112 = 28dB.    It probably isn't this low as we're in
the quantisation noise with no input signal, but a NF of 15 - 20dB
would probably be a rough guesstimate.

Andy  G4JNT
www.g4jnt.com