Re: LF: More WSPRing

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: More WSPRing
From: "Mark" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:55:47 -0000
Sender: [email protected]

Hi all,
Not withstanding the fickle nature of propagation, my WSPR / Grabber receive antenna is not the most efficient, and does suffer from an elevated noise floor compared to my main station antenna. Signals are typically 6dB stronger on the inverted L, though I have not spent any great effort quantifying the differences. One of the true benefits of WSPR is measurement of signal level variations at one location, but to get meaningful data on relative strength between stations would take many receive stations with identical equipment. That is of course eminently possible, a cheap PC and a standard ferrite rod active receive system + simple SDR would enable a major propagation study. Most amateurs have a PC and internet, if a cheap design were published for a WSPR monitor station, we could potentially get many listening stations QRV and gather a lot of interesting data. not many transmitters need be on, so no problem for non NOV holders.
With other 'front ends' any band could be monitored.

How cheap can we make such a system, is anyone interested?
Mark GM4ISM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Talbot" <[email protected]>