Re: LF: NON MORSE

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: NON MORSE
From: Piotr Młynarski <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 20:14:15 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
mal hamilton wrote:
I have been looking around the various HF bands for NON MORSE acty and find  that the old RTTY is the most prolific mode in use, it looks like the use of other data modes are rare, perhaps more suited to V/UHF EME work etc.
g3kev

Hello Mal., LF  group
i do not agree with you.  I guess if  you  had taken more time for  your watch of HF bands your conclusions would be different.
it is sometimes  useful to  extend time basis for making more reliable "averages " , hi.  in my opinion it is  PSK31  as  #1  these days.
Of course from historical reasons rtty  dominated in ether  for many years but  the last decade has changed it  when  DSP
techniques came into play along with PC's in almost every house etc... . btw, rtty  as you know is based on a Baudot code known before
 radio waves were 'discovered' and used  to carry information
. the popularity of rtty is based on the selfsynchronizing properties of the
 7bit Baudod code ( 1 start bit one stop bit + 5 bits for letters/nonletters dot, hyphen....)  it is not arq mode  so you can listen to it anytime etc..
like CW which is also  itself selfsynchronizing i.e you know very well when it is started stopped etc... PSK  works the same way -  from all
so called 'digital' modes it  is like a live qso with its speed similar to CW and so one and the selfsynchronizing properties due to the varicode of G3PLX
are great !  that is why , in my opinion psk31 wins these days.  my first psk qso was almost 10 years ago and i work mainly psk on HF bands  tiill now.
 I  do think it is the most popular digi mode at present.

Dear Mal, here is one issue more ...
i do observe the ongoing discussion between you and others concerning the CW vs other modes.  in a moment i will add my comment to this
  but in the form of example of one of my psk qso which i will remember  forever. it was  in the early 2000's  when the prop was not that bad
 and i had regular(everyday basis)  qso  with US stations at the evenings on 14 Mhz . it was an  american callsign - i do not remember  it ( but can look into my logbook if you want)  but what i do remember he was 86 years old  , all time ( both his work and his hobby) a CW operator   but by that time he was deaf, completely deaf  and he told me" Peter, i can not use my EARS  i am a deaf person i can not use CW anymore but i can use my EYES and due to psk i still can enjoy my radiohobby"  - please, excuse my english but the sense of  the words of this old man is obvious.
so  at least two points are emerging...
1.  we have ears we have eyes  =  both human senses  can be used  to  'read' the information which modulates the radiowave
2.  the dsp techniiques are more superior  to CW these days as far as S/N is concerned

                                         again, HNY  2009 , yours, peter, sq7mpj

qth:   lodz, poland /jo91rs/