LF: Re: Olivia 8 x 250 / psk31 / MFSK 8

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Olivia 8 x 250 / psk31 / MFSK 8
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 21:19:08 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=F8izCYdkY3nUuCl5E/3p+A8fDec+XM74THa1Mc2Qj0l7+6TSMszJUz4LhYfddtCNsgANglLtJsdjhD6faxR4Vg9RYHo/TFN5NZRZLWJhlRkR02ozGMCcQybmCJ7flmO9dBNSoaG+2o5EAK1fiKLjQwpxn5gTa25W8F6bTcF5UFA= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Graham, LF Group,

Monitored your beacon with 2 x Fldigi and 1 x Spectrum Lab. It is a bit hard to make a comparison, since the transmissions don't always overlap, and the signal level is constantly changing. (For future tests I would suggest a longer text would make for better comparison.) But the two modes seem roughly equivalent as far as likelihood of decoding successfully is concerned, although the MFSK8 has a faster throughput than Olivia, I think. Both were more or less 100% copy at the peaks of signal strength, and dropping out completely at the bottom of the dips. The QSB seems to be particularly fast at the moment, with signals sometimes dropping out completely and returning within 30s.

G4JNT says the Olivia signal looks brighter on a spectrogram... funny, for me it was the other way round...

BTW, re your earlier e-mail; both these modes are M-FSK modulation with constant amplitude (not if you TX both at the same time of course!), so no linear required in either case. PSK31 needs envelope shaping though.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU