Re: LF: WSPR - G0NBD

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: WSPR - G0NBD
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 23:54:03 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=DblPJsnVHXUcMXd3DVXuudrQ1Kgjf6Kb34qS/04BMULvcSjOhJ6YNfjhC402lvNfayTflRJAAfNncnjhNXKeeySbE4oz9kb4kfGPYfumsBkfwKK2Qu3rC2s4pdghH/c3Uqh23MUud01MF8X6xB4lbw9caBPMpmYGQHATeR7rLpA= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Graham, LF Group,

Remembering what I said jokingly to RA3AGC a few days ago about visually verifying a spectrogram trace of a WSPR signal, and the discussions of merits of WSPR vs QRSS, I thought this ought to work for diagnosis purposes - after all, WSPR is measuring the received frequency changes and the times at which they change, and in principle the same info is displayed by the spectrogram.

So I spent a "hugely exciting" couple of hours studying your signal with Spectrum Lab, and comparing it with a locally generated signal from my PC (which everyone seems to decode OK), configured with the same beacon message you have been transmitting. Eventually, I realised that the difference was that your transmissions are a few seconds shorter than the locally generated signals - in the attachment, the locally generated signals have the dark, noise free background. This means the transmitted sequence will be a couple of symbols out of step by the end of each transmission - I expect that could mess up the demodulation/decoding processes quite a lot. If you have a noisy signal, the demodulator/decoder might be using effectively just the least noisy fraction of the signal, with less timing error over a shorter part of the sequence.

To test this theory, I waited until about 1 minute of your signal had appeared on the spectrogram, then unplugged the antenna, so that the remaining minute was white noise. The result was successful decodes! I tried this 3 times, and it worked 3 times. So your signal does not have to be noisy in order to decode, there has to be part of it missing in order to decode!

So that might be why the signals don't decode - whether this is a problem with the soundcard, motherboard, or software is probably a question for K1JT! Still, a step in the right direction...

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU