Re: LF: ADSL

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: ADSL
From: Mike-WE0H <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 01:39:01 -0600
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:Date:From:User-Agent:MIME-Version:To:Subject:References:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=odn4zq2/MM4oKuBrkaVGLjErx4SzIUDYmQOprPFBxF8qPWraIn96NpOIYmSl8t3LDU5iMcGEYPEXiwHD4bKq5kJwxUxCkO4wVpPlRbjtzAFHo0/AjppwaB2738krZOKXbisKw3HcuatWUPSMR8y0C4b6gC4oQ3eQjPR3FlBUiDA= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

I have my DSL modem connected within a couple feet of where the Telco line comes in the house. I run a dedicated Telco line from the outside box to the inside box then to the modem. The house Telco wiring is filtered outside in the Telco box. That stopped all DSL noise here.

Mike
WE0H
/16

flo wrote:
Ive been playing at noise mitigation here at WE2 X PQ Wasilla Alaska and Im pretty happy Ive got 137kHz down to a finite level where I cant really mitigate it any further - the noise level is effectively S3 per se and the contributed by sideband noise from Loran and other on air qrm/n. Sideband noise from Loran is plainly audible. 500 kHz has been another matter - The meter sits at S5 or so on SSB in 2.8kHz BW - The noise is proven to be from my ADSL *ITU G.992.3* feed from my local Telco - My feed is from an underground (UG) feed then a twisted pair into the house (of wooden frame construction) then into a distributed UTP star and seried connections to RJ connections around the house including my ADSL modem. The noise bandwidth appears around 150kHz up to 1 MHz which would appear to be the "downlink' towards me power bandwidth. The fix isnt pretty but its to limit the length of the ADSL feed before it meets an ADSL filter or filters - in my case this is to site the ADSL modem close to where it comes out of the ground then place the modem there and then filter the RF out and only feed the audio to 4kHz round the house. I put a wireless Linksys at the same location of the ADSL modem - filtering the heck out of power as we go - so all office comms are via wireless. Ill let you know how it goes but initial indications are by effectively shortening the ADSL "antennae" - that the my noise level has dropped to S2 and this isnt ADSL white noise - I cant distinguish any pattern to the noise so presume its dispersed by coding. ps Im limited to 512 K down so this is a pretty expensive and slowish ADSL connection for those who live in the "boonies" - So if you have a "Whiteish noise" view of 500 kHz or MF and you have some negative influence from ADSL. Laurence KL1 X