Re: LF: M0JXM NOVICE LF OPERATOR

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: M0JXM NOVICE LF OPERATOR
From: "John P-G GM4SLV" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:31:49 +0100 (BST)
Sender: [email protected]
Dennis M0JXM said:

> I have had QSOs with two local amateurs, Peter M0FMT and Chris G3XIZ.

Hello Dennis and congratulations. Great to know you're on the air, having
QSOs and getting some CW practice. This is what it's all about.

I listening yesterday (Wed 17th) to G3XIZ who was weak but readable up
here in Shetland and hear his side of a QSO with you.

Try as I might I couldn't detect anything from you, even on the sensitive
grabber. Perhaps if I'd fed the grabber RX (an AR7030) via my tuneable MF
pre-amp? I should have thought of that at the time - doh!

Chris's ERP must be a bit higher than yours, at the moment, but I'm sure
you can improve things. At least you've got some local signals to work
with as you build up your confidence at CW and your knowledge of the band
and it's techniques.

I'll keep trying until I hear you. At the moment the middle of the day ,
while being relatively quiet QRN-wise - is still difficult for long
distance propagation. Last year I managed to hear G4GDR in daytime, in
mid-winter, so there's hope yet!

Cheers,

John
GM4SLV