Re: LF: Finbar's Compact 500kHz Vertical

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Finbar's Compact 500kHz Vertical
From: [email protected]
Date: 16 Jun 2008 23:21 GMT
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Claudio,

thank You for answering.

I know that the gain of an active antenna will increase by 6 dB average
by doubling its height. I also have an active Antenna installed, but so
far at a height of 4 meters only. Reception of DI2AM is possible at
night, but weaker than on my other antennas.

But I have also made experiments with a passive T-antenna (originally
used for LF, capacitiy 350 pF) with an 3:1 (voltage) unun at the
feedpoint, which allows to connect a cable (50 to 75 ohms) to the
receiver.

At my qth longwires up to 7 meters high were not sufficient to receive
even DI2AM at night, for instance. But this was and still is possible
when using the T-antenna at a height of 10 meters. At 7 meters reception
of VLF was sufficient, but on this band all transmitters are QRO.

Therefore I thought that transmitting antennas would not make any
difference for skywave communication.

Your reference to Christof Rohner is good. I know him personally, as he
is also a radio amateur, and will probably meet him at the next Ham
Radio.

OK?

73 Ha-Jo, DJ1ZB