Re: LF: TA on 500kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: TA on 500kHz
From: John Pumford-Green GM4SLV <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:19:18 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

LF group.

Sorry about the tone of this posting. It will probably be my last
message to the LF reflector. I have better, more enjoyable things to do
with my time.

Mal,

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 19:03:50 -0000
"mal" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Give the appliance operating a rest, give the hooving and window
> cleaning a break and try a bit of cw operating.

If you mean "RST 549 WX SUN QRU 73" which typifies most of your QSOs
then I'd rather do the hoovering...

> > However, I'm glad others find my investment of radio hardware, PCs &
> > internet bandwidth of value to their own experiments.
>
> A broadband qso is ideal for the appliance operator, what would we do
> without it , probably revert to real radio like building a valve tx/rx
> system.

I've never had a "Broadband QSO". I have had 129 QSOs, all hand sent CW
- no "appliance operating" - even my only QRSS contact was hand sent on
a straight key.

I've got a QSL card from Jack VE1ZZ for the first ever VE/GM x-band
500kHz QSO too if you only consider DX to be of any value.

As to building valve tx/rx systems.... nice to see you keeping up with
the march of technology. I'm sure the men from OFCOM will be impressed
to see the Special Research Permits issued to "cutting edge" amateur
radio operators, allowing them to experiment with this allocation, are
being used to push the boundaries of radio design!

However - I ask you a direct question, Mal... what do you provide back
to the MF community during all the hours in the day that you're away
from the shack?

Apart from emailed taunts, jibes and snide comments?

At least by offering a receiver up for public consumption the grabber
operators do something for the benefit of others.

Until you're personally prepared to devote hardware, and the time to
keep it all running, rebooting PCs whenever necessary etc. so that
others can make use of your station (when you're not there to operate)
then I suggest you refrain from commenting on the usefulness, as you
perceive it, of the grabbers that others have selflessly provided,
freely, for you to use.

If you think they're of no benefit to you,then by all means DON'T LOOK
AT THEM, but at the same time SHUT UP ABOUT THEM too.

As to you "helpful" email contibutions to the LF reflector and your
on-air behaviour - I've had several private emails directly citing your
snide comments, public snubbing on-air and generally less then helpful
demeanour as being the deciding factor in them pulling out of 500kHz
operating altogether.

If you want to know why activity is low I suggest you look closer to
home than to the "appliance operators" you so love to denigrate.

John GM4SLV