LF: 137.78 and 501 kHz last night

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: 137.78 and 501 kHz last night
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:50:25 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Dear LF,

around 137.78 kHz, UA4WPF (starting at 01:03z) and WD2XGJ (3:58 to 6:10) were again visible with good signals.

In addition to the MF stations reported before (sri for typo with OK0EMW), my little 501 kHz grabber harvested a strong signal SM6BHZ, and more traces near the bottom which looked like CW beacon signals. The signal on 501.89 kHz (best around 03:00) was presumably the transmission from GM4SLV, as seen on John's own grabber. I could not identify the trace at 501.3, and another one on 501.2 which shifted to 501.15 at 0:50z. All would have been "O" in QRSS3.

Roman, yes I'm using the DE 1103 which is a nice portable SWL receiver. I have modified the BFO to place it 7 kHz above center in the wideband filter setting. This was originally intended  for DRM reception but that worked marginally at best. One drawback for QRSS is the mediocre stability, with three separate oscillators mixing up and down to 55.85 MHz IF - after three hours of not touching it (!) it seems to stay within about 10 Hz. The 1st LO PLL is also affected by close-in phase noise and hum modulation. The wideband input is somewhat prone to overload from MF and HF signals, but works nicely on a resonant antenna with an attenuator. When tuned to 500 kHz center, the "local" amateur signals from DI2AG and DI2AT at the passband edge do not desensitize the receiver.

Have a nice Easter weekend
Markus, DF6NM