Re: LF: Re: NOV UPDATE

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: NOV UPDATE
From: "mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:58:11 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
As a rough guide to get started, assume the average amateur antenna is 1%
efficient which is doubtful then you would need 100w fed to the antenna.
Since a more realistic efficiency figure might be 0.5% or less you would
need 200w. The average pa efficiency is about 50% therefore you would need
anything between 200 and 400watts dc input to get into the ball park and
generate 1w erp.
A large 1/4 wave inv L antenna might only be 5%  efficient if you are lucky
at this freq, because the vertical part would normally only be a few metres
high with a very long horizontal part.
The antenna environment then needs consideration, buildings, trees, hedges,
other antenna wires in the vicinity. Your 1w erp might effectively be
reduced to  micro watts.
Check the near and far fields.
I recently removed a long wire rx antenna running near my 500 khz antenna
and gained 2 db.
The above info is a rough guide because every radio amateur installation is
different, the antenna efficiency is hard to determine, hence the erp.
73 de Mal/G3KEV