LF: Re: Re: Re: Mini Whip and local noise

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Re: Mini Whip and local noise
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 18:56:22 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=cSXumkD/Dkp4ukcXQTPKYzNpgrWIdBqTPb2qVMhbnOfvnABc30RjC2O+HFgJlCDlr+mMpwQfhAIxl+HCFI5rmVmzFyqfcunLLd5G8VeEegYd3hP/rPIFVkFBGcRFZjD6bPzEKchxFBwFcw97wBTp6n6bXbC05epqIQyofOsSc6I= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Roelof, this was not addressed to me but I feel I can maybe contribute
and opinion. I think it all depends on what you are wanting the sound card
to do. If you are using it as the "I/Q converter" in an SDR the the best
card produces the best results. the vital thing here is the noise level
which affects the dynamic range available, then the sampling frequency and
timing.

Your post tends to suggest that the queries are from people using Spectran
to process the audio from a receiver. In this case the achievable dynamic
range can be similar but it is not necessary for detecting small signals
which are essential buried in the noise from the reciever. I have the
internal on-board sound and an PCI M-Audio Delta 44, and I do not think I
could detect any difference when using Spectran. More important things are
keeping PC noise out of the receiver and ensuring the antenna is the
quietest are available to you but providing the highest voltage of wanted
signals.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK