Re: LF: 500 grabbers

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: 500 grabbers
From: "Mark" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:37:36 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Gents,
having now built 2 of the softrock systems, I can recommend them for use as grabbers. Being image cancelling systems they interface directly with the PC soundcard and all the clever stuff is done by Spectrum lab (or software of your choice that supports I & Q input). With a bog standard soundcard you can get a display of +- 20 odd KHz from the centre freq. There is no AGC problem, as observed on other grabbers, and current consumption in minimal (about 35mA inc a preamp which I fitted when I had a problem that turned out to be the antenna). I received my kit a few days before Christmas, so a grabber can be set up in a reasonable timescale!
These units are available direct from Tony Parks KB9YIG  raparks%ctcisp.com $13 inc shipping if I recall, for the 455KHz version (you then simply substitute a cheap 4MHz crystal for the one supplied) coverage is the 500KHz +- 20 KHz, I have chosen to display only 501 to 509 so as to be able to distinguish the close spaced beacons around 505
These are kits and they do use some surface mount components, but the end result is a compact and highly effective receiver ideally suited to this application. Mine is even powered directly off the computer 12V line
It would be great to see a grabber in the deep south, and coverage of the 505 beacons included, which to me is perhaps the most interesting aspect of the use for these things
substitute @ for % on Tony's email address.
Cheers
Mark GM4ISM