LF: LF Antenna Effective height comparison

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: LF Antenna Effective height comparison
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 20:01:39 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Dear LF Group,

Didn't work first time, so try again...

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2007 4:13 PM
Subject: LF Antenna Effective height comparison

Dear LF Group,

After doing the "open field" antenna tests a couple of weeks ago, I have been repeating field strength measurements on my home QTH antenna for comparison. The field strength measurements generally give lower values for ERP than those calculated from the dimensions of the antenna and the antenna current, which could be interpreted as reduced effective height of the antenna due  to the screening effect of the environment around the antenna. I did several sets of measurements at 136kHz and 503.8kHz with the antenna in 4 different configurations - inverted L about 40m long at nominally 8m and 10m high, and the same wire supported in the middle with a telescopic fibreglass mast to make an inverted V with the apex at about 13m and 15m high. The radiation resistance of each configuration was calculated using NEC-based antenna simulator software, and from this the effective height was calculated. This was compared with a "measured" Heff  determined by working backwards from the ERP values and the antenna current measurement

The graph in the attachment compares the calculated and measured Heff for the four different antennas ("Winter 2007"). For comparison, the graph also includes results of similar measurements on the 10m inv L and 15m inv V made earlier this year ("Summer 2007"), and the 10m inv L "Open field site" measurements done recently. In the current measurements, the measured Heff for the home QTH antenna is roughly 2m less than the calculated value, with Heff being slightly lower for 136kHz than 503kHz. The summertime measurements show a somewhat larger reduction in Heff, and a greater difference between 136k (about 4m reduction in Heff) and 500k (about 3m reduction). As mentioned before, the measured and calculated open-field site antenna results match quite closely. For the 10m inv L, for which all 3 sets of measurements were available, the apparent effective height for essentially the same antenna varies over a range of about 2:1.

So it looks like a simple approximate way to model the effects of the environment on the radiated signal from the antenna is to subtract a fixed amount from the effective height of the antenna. The amount to be subtracted appears to depend on the time of year. Perhaps this is due  to the trees shedding their leaves. The cold weather last week when the  measurements were made also has the effect of reducing the loss resistance of the antenna - perhaps the freezing conditions also affect the effective height. Also, the reduction in Heff seems to be somewhat frequency dependent, with a greater reduction at lower frequencies. The same was true for 136k/73k measurements I did a few years back.

I also measured the loss resistance of the 4 antenna configurations - Rloss reduces with increasing antenna height. At 503kHz it was 24ohms for the 8m inv L, decreasing to 19ohms for the 15m inv V. At 136kHz, it was 66ohms for the 8m inv L, down to 43ohms for the 15m inv V. These figures are much larger than the "open field site" antenna, which was about 8.5ohms at both 136k and 503k.

Happy Christmas to all on LF, and all the best for 2008,

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU